Scriptures repeatedly tell us how much God loves all of creation!
John Wesley, founder of Methodism, preached “The gospel of Christ knows of no religion, but social. No holiness but social holiness.” Our United Methodist Council of Bishops further explained: “Through social holiness, we make ourselves a channel of God’s blessing in the world. Because God’s blessing, care, and promise of renewal extends to all of creation, we can speak today of “environmental holiness,” as well. We practice social and environmental holiness by caring for God’s people and God’s planet and by challenging those whose policies and practices neglect the poor, exploit the weak, and hasten global warming.” In 2009, the Council of Bishops wrote: “We must begin the work of renewing creation by being renewed in our own hearts and minds. We cannot help the world until we change our way of being in it.”
Our Creation Care Ministry accentuates God’s immense love for and presence throughout creation. It enables us to see connections between our faith and environmental issues. It inspires creation-respecting lifestyle choices that set right our relationships with each other, with God, and with the earth.
Our Go Green Team is a highly motivated small group that acts to renew God’s creation based on our faith; we meet on an intermittent schedule. Together, we see our mindless, unintentional neglect of creation and together, we practice new creation-respecting choices that change our way of being in the world.
As disciples of Jesus Christ, we choose a lifestyle that reflects our dedication by God to keep watch over, to guard, to protect, and to have charge of planet earth, God’s creation.
Some Scriptures that guide our Creation Care Ministry
• God created us—people—in God’s image and dedicated us to tend and keep the earth, God’s creation, for the mutual flourishing of all life. (Genesis 1:26-31; 2:15).
• God requires us to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with our God. (Micah 6:8)
• Jesus is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; all things were created through him and for him. (Colossians 1:16)
• Our faith and actions work together; our actions make our faith complete. (James 2:22)
• Jesus instructed us to let our light shine before others so they will see our good actions and praise God. (Matthew 5:16)
Creation Care Ministry Leader: Cheryl Y. Marcum, commissioned United Methodist EarthKeeper